There has been a significant increase in occurrences of the CryptoLocker virus and its variants in recent times globally. Please be aware, if your computer becomes infected with CryptoLocker your files and those on any network share will also become encrypted. Once encrypted, these files are no longer useable by any program. You will not be able to access these files. Infections can occur by email attachment – often a password protected PDF or Word document. Typically these attachments can appear to be invoices or quotes from legitimate- appearing companies. Infection can also occur on an exploited or hacked websites.
- Check twice before you open any attachment, even if you know the sender.
- Do not open any attachment from an unknown sender.
- If the mail or its attachment looks slightly unusual – Do Not Open It.
- Do not store important files on your local PC – Important files should be saved on your server which should have a current backup plan.
Files stored locally are not backed up – if you have no backup we cannot restore your files. Your Anti-virus may not always protect you from ransomware – however please ensure it is updated and running.
If you have been infected
- Shut down the infected machine immediately.
- Disconnect all the shared network drives on your other machines.
- Run your anti-virus.
- Call our helpdesk on 091-429000 and we will guide you through the process.
PLEASE do not pay the ransom, we are aware of instances where the ransom has been paid but the files haven’t been decrypted.
We would like to stress to you the importance of having a backup system in place for your critical files, as there is no way to recover the infected files without the decryption key.
Feel free to call us today if you would like more information on how we could help you better protect your business.